A dessert made of a layer of sponge topped with ice-cream, all of which is then coated in a layer of Egg meringue. Bake the Alaska quickly (about 5 minutes) in a very hot oven until the outside is golden-brown. The egg meringue insulates the ice-cream and stops it melting.
- 350 gms sponge cake /fruit cake or pound cake
- 125 ml vanilla ice cream
- 125 ml strawberry ice cream
- 125 ml chocolate ice cream
- 125 ml butter scotch ice cream
- egg whites (from about 4 eggs)*
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 100 gms roasted almonds
- 50 gms roasted cashew nuts
- Icing spatula
- Ice cream scoop
- Pastry bag with a medium star tip
- A kitchen OTG, OVEN
STEP BY STEP METHOD:
- Clear some room in the freezer to fit 4 dessert plates. Cut the cake into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Cut out four 3-4 inch disks / Squares of sponge and place them on the 4 dessert plates. Place 100 ml aprox. scoop of ice cream in the center of each cake disk and place them in the freezer.
- One at a time, remove the ice cream from the freezer and spread the choice of flavours on the sponge slices individually.
- The cake covering the ice cream should fit together nicely, creating a dome or a slab shaped structure.
- Place them back in the freezer for up to over-night to set this form of home-made cassata.
- To make the meringue, whip the egg whites only in a domestic mixer/ blender until foamy, then add the castor sugar, and continue whipping until stiff and glossy. Spread it over the cake domes with an icing spatula, leaving a relatively smooth surface.
- Transfer the remaining meringue to your pastry bag. Pipe meringue decoratively on the domes. Heat the OTG / OVEN to 240 degr and bake until lightly browned all over. Return to the freezer for up to 2 HRS until ready to serve.