( A delicate and exotic fusion recipe of cottage cheese well folded in Italian pesto – a’la Indiana – a wonderful snacks preparation )
How to make home made herb scented cottage cheese
- 2 litre full-cream milk
- ½ tsp citric acid/lemon juice
- ½ cup warm water
- salt – to taste
- assorted fresh herbs
- Set the milk up to boil.
- As the milk is ready – add the fresh herbs and allow to boil only as much to mellow the flavor.
- Add salt and taste the milk to the flavor of brine water.
- When the milk comes to a boil, pour the acid-water/lemon juice-water mix, into it.
- Reduce the heat and stir continuously until the milk is completely curdled.
- Remove from the heat when the separation of the curds and yellowish whey is complete. Discard the fresh herbs.
- Strain the mixture through a clean muslin cloth.
- Hold it under running water for a minute and then press out the excess water.
- Hang the muslin for 15-20 minutes so that all the whey is drained out.
- To make the paneer into a block, tie the muslin and place it under something heavy.
- The paneer can now be cut into chunks and used as shown.
How to make Italian pesto a’la Indiana
- 50g pine nuts
- 50g Cashew nuts
- 100g Coriander
- 50g Chervil
- 50g Tarragon
- 70g Parmesan (finely grated)
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1x 2 inch peeled piece of ginger chopped
- 1x large red chilly de-seeded & chopped
- 1x tbsp limejuice
- Salt to taste
- 8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Place nuts, garlic, chilli and ginger in a food processor and whiz for 1 min. Then add picked herbs and whiz to a course pulp. To this, add the half of the olive oil and set the seasoning.
- Then finally add the cheese and whiz quickly for 30 second. Blend the pesto Indiana with remaining olive oil.
On a platter, pour over the blended pesto Indiana and place home made cottage cheese cuboids well garnished with fresh rosemary and enjoy this great fusion recipe cold as a snack.