A dessert made of a layer of vanilla sponge topped with chunks of sweet and alphanso mango well layered with fresh mango ice cream and , all of which is then artistically smeared in a layer of meringue. Bake the Alaska quickly (about 5 minutes) in a very hot oven until the outside is golden-brown. The meringue insulates the ice-cream and stops it melting.
350 Gms sponge cake /fruit cake or pound cake
500 ml mango ice cream
500 Gms scoops of alphanso mango flesh
Egg whites (from about 4 eggs)*
1 cup castor sugar
100 Gms roasted almonds
50 Gms roasted cashew nuts
Ice cream scoop
Pastry bag with a medium star tip
A kitchen OTG, OVEN.
STEP BY STEP METHOD
1) Clear some room in the freezer to fit 4 dessert plates. Cut the cake into 1/2-inch thick slices.
2) Cut out four 3-4 inch disks / Squares of sponge and place them on the 4 dessert plates. Place 100 ml aprox. scoop of ice cream in the center of each cake disk and place them in the freezer. Mango flavor ice cream and scoops of mangoes
3) The cake covering the ice cream should fit together nicely, creating a dome or a slab shaped structure.
4) Place them back in the freezer for up to over-night to set this form of home-made cassata.
5) To make the meringue, whip the egg whites only in a domestic mixer/ blender until foamy, then add the castor sugar, and continue whipping until stiff and glossy. Spread it over the cake domes with an icing spatula, leaving a relatively smooth surface.
6) Transfer the remaining meringue to your pastry bag. Pipe meringue decoratively on the domes. Heat the OTG / OVEN to 240 degree and bake until lightly browned all over. Return to the freezer for up to 2 HRS until ready to serve.
(Courtesy: Executive chef Aman Tandon , ThePrideHotels Ahmedabad)