A typical preparation of the staple vegetable Potato, this preparation is almost found in all the menus of standard hotels and the restaurants owing to its simplicity, traditional taste and presentation techniques.
Potatoes(medium oval shaped ) 500 gms
Cottage cheese(grated) 100 gms
Fennel seeds 1 tsp
Oil to deep fry 2 tablespoon
Fresh coriander leaves(chopped) 2 tablespoon
Green chilies (finely chopped) 4
Raisins 1 tbsp
Cashew nuts broken 20 pieces
Salt to taste
Asafetida a pinch
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Ginger(grated) 1 inch piece
Tomato puree 2 cups
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
Dry mango powder (amchur) 1/2 tsp
Jaggery (crushed) 1/3 cup
Fresh cream 2 tablespoon
1. Peel and halve potatoes length wise. Broil fennel seeds and crush slightly. 2. Heat sufficient oil in a kadhai and deep-fry potatoes till they are golden brown.
2. Scoop out the centre of each half potato. Chop the scooped out portion of the potatoes.
3. Add paneer, coriander leaves, green chilies, raisins, cashew nuts and salt. Mix well.
4. Stuffed the scooped out potato halves with this filling.
5. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a kadhai. Add asafetida, roasted fennel seeds, cumin seeds, ginger and sauté. Add tomato puree and mix well.
7. Add turmeric powder and red chili powder. Add half a cup of water and cook for three to four minutes.
8. Add amchur powder, crushed Jaggery and salt to taste.
9. Add stuffed potatoes to this gravy and cook on low heat for three to four minutes.
10. Add fresh cream and stir gently. Cook till the gravy is reduced slightly.
11. Serve hot garnished attractively as shown in the image .
(Courtesy : Executive Chef Aman Tandon , ThePrideHotels Ahmedabad).