(Traditional plum cake, transformed to a festivity dessert with exotic strawberries and cherries infused cream over rum & all spice flavored festive plum cake)
1 cup prunes, chopped
1 cup currants
1 cup flour – Maida
¼ cup brown sugar
1/2 cup mixed candied citrus peel – ready available in marts
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
3 cups fine, dry bread crumbs
3 tablespoons butter
4 eggs, lightly beaten
Rum essence – few drops to taste
Caramel syrup – 50 ml
Pinch of salt
Red Cherry – 1 cup – hulled & pureed
Fresh Strawberry – 1 cup – pureed
Rich cream / double dairy cream – 4 cups
Castor sugar – to correct the sweetness of cherry berry cream
1. In a bowl, combine the raisins, prunes, currants, caramel syrup , rum essence and allow the mixture to steep, covered, overnight.
2. Next morning, place the fruit mixture in a large bowl and combine with the flour, brown sugar, citrus peel, chopped almonds, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine the bread crumbs, butter, eggs, and salt. Add this mixture to the ingredients in the large bowl and mix well.
4. Generously butter a pudding mold. Spoon the batter into the mold and cover with aluminum foil tied.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for aprox. 1.5 hrs, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out and cool completely.
6. Cut the desired shape of the plum cake with the mould and further cross sectional cut it horizontally. Dab each layer of cake with rum essence flavored sweetened water to moisten the pudding, making it butter soft.
7) In a bowl whip the cream over a bed of ice till fluffy adding Castor sugar to taste, add the pureed cherry and strawberry mixing into the cream, just before lining on the plum pudding .and make attractive icing to the CHERRY BERRY PLUM PUDDING.
(Courtesy : Executive chef Aman Tandon at ThePrideHotels Ahmedabad)