This recipe was created in the royal kitchens of Rajasthan as a meat replacement for vegetarians. Wash and rinse bread dough made of wheat Atta to get rid of starch leaving Gluten (Chakki) behind. Now you can make spare rib shaped spatulas / balls or squares of gluten and deep fry them in oil. Cook these balls in korma gravy.
Chakki was first mentioned in Babarnama, and then again in Ain I Akbar.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1. Whole wheat flour: 8 cups
2. Water: 4 cups
3. Besan (Chickpea flour): ¼ cup
1. Salt: ½ teaspoon
2. Ground homemade garam masala : 1 teaspoon
3. Curry Powder Standard Onset Punjabi: 1 Tablespoon
4. Hing (Asafetida): pinch
5. Garlic Cloves: 5
6. Onion Chopped: 2 cups
7. Chopped tomato: 1 cup
1. Ghee: ½ Cup
2. Yogurt: 1 cup
1. Make stiff dough. Put it in a tub
2. After two hours, add water to tub. Lightly knead by stretching dough in water. it will dissolve the starches in water. Drain out the starch water.
3. Wait another two hour and stretch dough in water to dissolve out more starch. Drain, rinse, drain. Now you have Gluten. It should be very stretchy like chewing gum
4. Gather dough. Add some Besan just to make it easier handle the dough.
5. Deep fry Gluten pieces till golden brown
Combine and grind all the ingredients in a food processor.
1. Heat Ghee in a heavy bottom pan. Add Masala. Sauté till brown. About 10 minutes
2. Stir in Yogurt. Simmer on low 4 minutes
3. Stir in Chakki. Cook covered about 5 minutes. Shut off heat.
(Courtesy : Executive Chef Aman Tandon at ThePrideHotels Ahmedabad)