Mediterranean Çoban salatası is a Turkish salad. It is considered by many as light, refreshing and easy to make and is especially popular during spring and early summer. To add an extra dash of colour and crunch, you can throw in some crumbled feta cheese and oven-toasted pita triangles.
Dig into this fresh fruit salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 10 minutes
- 1 green or red apple, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 5 g grated zest of one lime
- 100 g chunks of iceberg lettuce
- 100 g bell pepper, diced
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled,
- de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 8 green olives, pitted and sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
FOR THE LIME VINAIGRETTE
- 2 tsp water
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp spring onion, chopped
1. To make the salad, coat sliced apples in a large bowl with the lime juice and zest.
2. Add lettuce, bell peppers, spring onions, cucumbers, celery, green olives, parsley, avocado and grapes to the apples and coat them well with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill for one hour.
3 Combine all ingredients for the lime vinaigrette in a jar. Shake well.
4. To serve, toss the salad with the dressing and arrange in a salad bowl or in a hollowed deep fruit like a pineapple or melon.
(Courtesy: Executive Chef Aman Tandon from the Pride Hotels Ahmedabad)