4 cups fresh Alphonso mango chunks
½ cup coconut milk – fresh or canned
1 cup sugar (or according to taste)
1 tsp lime juice
a pinch of salt
2 pinches of saffron
mango puree and desiccated coconut to garnish
1. Take the mango de-skins and deseed the fruit. Carefully carve out the chunks and make cubes out of the fleshy wedges.
2. Warm the coconut milk on a medium sauce pan. Add the sugar and saffron, heat it for a few minutes stir it around until the sugar dissolves, and let it cool.
3. Grind the mango cubes to a really fine paste. If you need liquid, add the coconut-sugar liquid a bit at a time.
4. When the paste is very smooth, add the lime juice and mix.
5. Put the mixture in a sealed container in the freezer, and let it set for 4 hours or so.
6. When it is frozen, take it out, let it thaw for a few minutes, scoop into tight balls and serve.
(Courtesy: Executive Chef Aman Tandon from the Pride Hotels Ahmedabad )