Firm & fleshy scoops of watermelon deep-fried and served on a bed of vanilla cream, laced with caramel syrup.
1 watermelon, about 500 gms
250 gms Maida
100 gms cornflower
2 egg whites, beaten (optional)
Refined oil for deep-frying
Castor sugar/Powdered sugar
200 Gms desiccated coconut
- Cut the watermelon in half and scoop out the pulp with a scooper.
- Remove seeds if any from the scooped balls of melon and drain to shed off any dripping juice.
- Mix the ratio of corn flour + Maida with egg whites and little water ensure no lumps are formed.
- Whip to make a thick batter – to coat over the water melon scoops.
- Coat the scooped watermelons with the batter.
- Heat the oil in a kadai over high flame till about the smoking point of the oil.
- Dip the watermelon pieces in the batter and add to the oil. Deep-fry until the coating becomes firm. Turn off the heat and continue to deep-fry the watermelon until light brown. Remove, drain well, sprinkle with the sugar and roll on desiccated coconut all over.
To serve :- the fried watermelon balls goes best with vanilla ice cream or on a layer of vanilla flavored whipped cream .
(Courtesy : Executive Chef Aman Tandon from ThePrideHotels, Ahmedabad)