Salty crabmeat mixed with chives and whipped cream and stuffed in a crunchy baked or fried puff pastry cone served with crisp lettuce tossed in a Mediterranean dressing.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
2 (800 g each) crabs
200 g whipped cream
1 bunch of chives, chopped
Zest of 1 orange
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 flat circles of puff pastry dough
125 g clarified butter
20 g sesame seeds
25 ml olive oil
Juice of ½ a lemon
250 g mixed lettuce leaves
½ bunch tarragon
1) Bring a pot of water to a fast boil. Add the crabs and cook for 25 minutes. Afterwards, leave the crabs in to infuse in the cooking liquid for a few minutes.
2) Crack the crabs and extract the crabmeat. Mix the crabmeat with the cream, chives, orange zest, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3) Cut an 8” diameter circle out of a card sheet and fasten into a cone. Use as to form four cones, wrapping them in aluminum foil.
4) Cut the dough into an 8” diameter disc and create four cones by placing the covered cones. Remove and brush with the clarified butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake or fry until golden brown.
5) Fill the cones with the crab mixture.
6) Make a dressing by mixing the olive oil, lemon juice and sliced shallots together. Toss the lettuce and tarragon.
(Courtesy : Chef Aman Tandon from The Pride Hotels, Ahmedabad)