Clay oven seared Pomfret in a lip smacking Thai marinade
1 whole Fish Pomfret weighing upto 400 gms
200 gms roasted gramflour powder
50 gms ginger and garlic paste
50 gms ginger and garlic chopped fine
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
Red chilly paste — 100 gms
Oil for basting
For the sauce:
4 Garlic Cloves, very finely sliced
1 Green Jalapeno Pepper, thinly sliced
1 Red Jalapeno Pepper, thinly sliced
100 gms Onions, thinly sliced
3 tbsp Freshly chopped Coriander
60ml Fish Sauce – proprietary sauce available in all major stores
1 tbsp Freshly chopped Basil
50 ml refined oil
1. Preheat the tandoor / barbecue or preheat the oven to 180C, 350F.
2. Scale, clean and gut the fish but leave whole. Make three or four diagonal cuts on both sides of the fish and sprinkle with the vinegar .
3. Place & mix the flour and other ingredients on a large plate and use to coat the fish on both sides.
4. Barbecue / bake in tandoor the whole fish to seal then transfer to a shallow ovenproof dish and bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, place a little oil in a saucepan or wok and heat until very hot. Add the chilies and onions and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the fish sauce, bring to simmering point then stir in the the coriander leaves. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes until slightly reduced. Remove from the heat, and transfer to a sauce boat. Stir in the basil leaves when cool.
7. To serve – transfer the fish to a warmed platter and serve with the sauce on the side.
(Courtesy- Regional Executive chef Aman Tandon from The Pride Hotel, Ahmedabad)