Brave and firm tomatoes stuffed with patriotic and authentic spices – A favourite most of – LAL-BAL-PAL -from the Gomti banks of Lucknow – the epicentre of the KAKORI KAND
½ kg – Green peas
250 gms – Malai paneer
100 gms – Spring onions
1 pinch – Hing
1 pc small – Ginger
6 nos – Garlic Flakes
2 nos – Bay leaves
2 tsp – Coriander leaves
½ tsp – Red Chilli Powder
½ tsp – Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp – jeera
5 nos – cloves
5 nos – Green cardamoms
1 no – cinnamon sticks
50 gms – Green coriander
Salt to taste
1 can – Tomato Puree
1 tbsp – Pure Ghee
Cooking Instructions :
- Divide the shelled peas in two batches finely grind one half and coarsely grind other.
- Grind to paste the ginger, garlic and cumin. Also grind the cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms and keep aside.
- Finely slice the onions, fry to a golden colour and grind to a paste.
- In the same oil, sauté finely cubed / grated malai paneer on a very slow flame till crisp and golden , add the grounded mix of each , cook and keep aside.
- Scoop out medium sized firm tomatoes , fill in the mix prepared and ensure each tomato firmly stuffed with the Nimona mixture .
- On a greesed grill plate , cook and grill the tomatoes slightly from the cut bottom stuffed side .
- In a separate pan heat a tablespoon of pure ghee and add crushed asofaetida, add all the ground peas and sauté till the moisture evaporates, keep aside
- Heat oil add the bay leaves, ginger-garlic paste, coriander, turmeric, chilli powder and salt and sauté till the masala is done.
- Add the onion paste and tomato puree and stir till the ghee separates. Now add the fine crushed peas which is used here as a thickening agent , ½ litre water and the garam masala paste.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame till the nimona gravy is ready
- Now pour over the nimona timatar ka kut , gently place each tomatoes s garnish with grated cheese and a dash of rogan – serve hot with chupdi roti , or khushka .