( A true delicacy of Punjabi cuisine by the grand master chef of yesteryear’s BELIRAM – who was the royal cook of Maharaja Ranjeet Singh from the Patiala kingdom, a few centuries ago. )
Serves 6 Marinate time: 2 hrs cooking time: 40-45 min.
- 2 lb(1 kg) lamb
- FOR MARINADE
- 2 cups yogurt ( homemade curd beat till smooth)
- 2 big onions – cut into slices
- 2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 6 green cardamom(chhoti illaichi)
- 5 cloves(laung)
- 2 sticks cinnamon(dalchini)
- salt to taste
- b1 tsp Kashmiri deghi mirch
- OTHER INGREDIENTS
- ½ cup ghee(clarified butter) or oil
- 2 tbsp whole coriander seeds(saboot dhania)— crushed lightly
- Mix all the ingredients of the marinade together. Leave the lamb chunks in this marinade for 2 hours. Keep it in the refrigerator.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add coriander seeds and saute over medium heat until they begin to crackle.
- Add the lamb, along with the marinade. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Pressure cook to give 2 whistles. Reduce heat and keep on low heat for 20-25 minutes, or till mutton turns soft. Remove from fire.
- When the pressure drops, cook meat on medium heat until the fat leaves the masala and the mutton looks well fried.